How to Remove Browser Hijacker Smartsputnik.ru (Virus Removal Guide)
This article contains information on browser hijacker Smartsputnik.ru. How it enters into your computer, how it affects your computer and how to remove browser hijacker Smartsputnik.ru from your computer. Let us first have a brief introduction of the browser hijacker Smartsputnik.ru.
What is Smartsputnik.ru?
Smartsputnik.ru is a malware counted under browser hijacker category which alters the homepage and search engine of browsers for redirecting the user to sponsored content, text, and advertisements etc. Smartsputnik.ru may not have been categorized as a malicious software if it would not have the ability to append the argument http://smartsputnik.ru/?ri=1&uid= to random Windows shortcuts on the desktop and Windows Start Menu.
How Smartsputnik.ru enters into a computer?
Hidden in the setup of a free software
Like most of the malwares, Smartsputnik.ru enters into your computer hidden in the setup of a free software. Its developers hide it in the setup of popular free software like Skype and VOIP. This is because they know it well that their program is no entity that people will download willingly to their device. On the other hand, millions of people download Skype, VOIP and other free software. Once these people decide to download a free software, Smartsputnik.ru also drops and installs on the Windows of the victim. It installs in the background of the system so the victim is not able to detect it so easily till it begins to create hindrance in the normal functioning of the computer.
The developers of browser hijacker Smartsputnik.ru can attach and distribute it via spam emails. The spam email is aimed at thousands of people at one time. Some inexperienced computer users are not aware of infected files attached to the mass email. They click on the Smartsputnik.ru infected email attachments and links and the browser hijacker drops on the operating system of the victim.
Infected external media devices
External media devices which are connected to a Smartsputnik.ru infected computers can transfer this infection when a user connects it to its own computer. So you should be cautious while using an external media device. Always scan external media device before connecting it to your computer.
Peer to Peer sharing
Peer to Peer sharing of documents and files can also become a reason of Smartsputnik.ru infection. Smartsputnik.ru may be present in the device of your friend and when you share a document via Apps like Bluetooth and Shareit, the browser hijacker may also drop on the Windows of your or your friend’s computer windows.
Trojan, backdoor and Worms
Malicious websites like Pornhub, Xvedios and Gambling sites etc. are a reservoir of Smartsputnik.ru like browser hijackers. If a user surfs the content of any of these websites, Smartsputnik.ru may download on computer stealthily.
Harmful effects of Smartsputnik.ru on your computer
Once Smartsputnik.ru downloads on your computer, the first thing it does is that it changes the homepage and search engine of your web browser to gain control over them and then use them for desired purposes. It utilizes registry entries to control your internet browser. Even if the victim attempts to clean Windows Shortcut or restore homepage settings, it may not help him/her in getting rid of the Smartsputnik.ru completely from the system. It adds HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Google\Chrome\HomepageLocation,HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Policies\Google\Chrome\RestoreOnStartupURLs\1 registry policies to your Google Chrome browser. It opens the browser to http://smartsputnik.ru/?ri=1&uid= site/
Smartsputnik.ru Redirect is pop redirect Adware Popular these days. If you can not deal with this on your own,
>> Click Here to Download MalwareBytes – Smartsputnik.ru Removal Tool <<
How to prevent entry of Smartsputnik.ru into your computer?
You can prevent the entry of Smartsputnik.ru into your computer provided you adopt the following measures. If you will not take care of these things, then you cannot prevent Smartsputnik.ru infection. Adapt these below-mentioned measures and block entry of Smartsputnik.ru into your computer.
- Don’t download a free software from a Random computer site
- Always download a software from the official site
- Keep the security of your system always updated
- Scan external media devices for viruses and Malware before connecting them to your computer
- Limit peer to peer document sharing and verify from your friends is his/her device infected with viruses or malware.
- Don’t open a mass mail before verifying its authenticity, it could be a spam
- Don’t visit malicious websites like Porn or Gambling
- The most important thing is, when you have to install a Free Software, choose only custom/ advanced setting in the installation wizard. It will enable you to monitor which file is installed on your computer. You can very easily deselect a suspicious file once you spot it.
- Be very attentive when you have to agree or disagree installing a software.
Adware Smartsputnik.ru redirect Removal Guide
If Adware has already infected your computer, go for its removal immediately otherwise when its infection becomes severe, it causes a lot of trouble and becomes too stubborn to remove from the computer.
How to remove browser hijacker Smartsputnik.ru from your computer
Even if you have the slightest doubt in your mind that your computer may be infected with Smartsputnik.ru, scan your computer with an anti-malware, identify it and go for its removal immediately, otherwise, it will put the security of your computer in danger. It can gather information and share it with third parties. These third parties can use it to steal your bank and credit card details and then absorb all of the money from your bank accounts. These third parties can hack your email and social media accounts. Money begets money and malware begets malware. It can bring into many more malware into your device.
So it is important for you to know how to remove browser hijacker Smartsputnik.ru from your computer. Adapt the below-given procedure to get rid of Smartsputnik.ru redirect from Windows. Perform the steps of this procedure in accurate order otherwise, it may not help you in getting rid of Smartsputnik.ru from your computer. The steps of the procedure are as follows
Remove Smartsputnik.ru from Windows
- 1. Click on “Win + X” to open the command prompt
- 2. Click on the command prompt. It will open in Administrator mode.
- 3. You can also open a command prompt by entering “cmd” in the search box and then right-click on it to choose Admin mode.
- 4. If you are a Windows 10 user copy paste following commands in the search field.
Type rd /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers” and click on enter
Type rd /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy” and click on enter
Type gpupdate /force and click on enter
- 5. After typing these commands you will see following two notifications
- 1. User Policy update has completed successfully.
- 2. Computer Policy update has completed successfully
Now you can very easily change your default search engine
Scan your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
After performing the above step now scan your computer with a powerful anti-malware. The procedure is as given below
- Once you will install anti-malware, click on Scan now to start computer scan
- After the completion of the scan, you will see a list of identified threats on your computer.
- Click on “Remove Selected” button.
- After quarantining registry keys and malicious files, it will remove them from the computer
- Now it may prompt you to start a system reboot to remove remaining traces of Smartsputnik.ru from the computer.
Method No.2: Manual Method
Follow the following steps to remove adware manually.
To remove Smartsputnik.ru redirect adware, you may have to mess with registery & system files. Making a single mistake and deleting the wrong thing may corrupt your system.
To Avoid this use MalwareBytes – Smartsputnik.ru Adware Removal Tool.
Step 1 : Uninstall suspicious software using Control Panel.
Reset your Internet browsers to default settings
Since the Smartsputnik.ru changes the homepage and search engine of your computer browsers, so you should reset Internet browsers to default settings. The resetting will remove all unwanted changes to your computer browsers but will not temper with your bookmarks and passwords. The procedure is as follows
For Google Chrome
- Go to Google Chrome Menu
- Click on Settings
- It will open a new tab
- Click on Show advanced settings link
- It will display Chrome’s advanced Settings
- Click on Reset browser settings
- It will display a confirmation dialog which gives you choice to continue with reset process or not
- Click on Reset button
- It should free your computer from Smartsputnik.ru browser hijacker
Note: If you can’t find required program, sort programs by date in Control panel and search for last installed programs.
After that remove Smartsputnik.ru from your browser.
For Firefox and the Internet Explorer
Apply the more or less same procedure to reset Firefox and Internet Explorer. The procedure varies according to the configuration of the browser otherwise results are same. Go to their setting menu and follow the steps one by one.